Monday, May 26, 2008

headlines from a small town

-For those who like to keep track, Friend #37 moved out last week. Around the same time, Friend #12 moved back in. Presently, Friend #7 still lives here, but her belongings are mostly in boxes. She is in a state known as "flux", I guess.

-My favorite family helped Friend #32 move to an interim apartment yesterday, as she sold her log cabin and isn't moving to Texas until August. Until then, she resides in a pink house. She treated this aforementioned favorite family to Sergi's pizza as a thank-you, generously including me and Friend #12, even though we didn't do any work. I love Sergi's pizza. And I love Friend #32, by the way.

-We are purchasing yet another property in Madrid. I'll tell more as the details are firmed up!

-#1 Son has his bedroom all to himself now. He spent his free time last week re-arranging furniture and organizing his stuff. He raided the barn for a metal cabinet, spray-painted it jet-black, and labeled all the little drawers for electronic and computer parts. (I don't even know what most of the labels mean. It's like, is this a joke on me, or something???)

-The gardens have been planted except for the tomatoes. (I can put them in as soon I purchase some.) Here is the list: broccoli, cantalope, pumpkin, butternut squash, green beans, parsley, basil, swiss chard, beets, peas, cucumber, two kinds of peppers, spinach, and many kinds of lettuce. Raspberries galore. Plus a new cherry tree and a new apple tree. I hope to start another garden for asparagus and rhubarb. Does anyone have some I can steal?

-We are not doing anything special for Memorial Day, except for reading a few poems and speeches aloud after dinner. (The thunder and rain kept us from attending the local parade.) For our evening activity, we are making mounds of Monkey Cakes. This is an old family recipe which my grandmother taught me to make. #1 Daughter loves to make them, too. They are best eaten while still warm, sprinkled with powdered sugar. Heavens, they're tasty!

That's the news from here. Have a wonderful Memorial Day.
Over and out.

3 Comments:

Blogger TrashTidBits said...

Can I come and raid your garden this summer? As you can imagine, I spent most of the day unpacking boxes. I made a good dent - kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom are now officially livable. I still need to tackle the living room. Thanks to the family for the help and glad that you and friend #12 could join us for dinner.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nancy
you are my favorite read. really, you should write a book. it would equal emma bombeck!!!
love you and your wit
margaret

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy,
We have tons of rhubarb - your welcome to it! Stop by sometime.
Cathy

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home