Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Eagle Scout

Scout Oath (or Promise)
On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

Scout Law
A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly,
courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty,
brave, clean, and reverent.

This past Saturday, 3/4 of my favorite family made the short trek to Watertown.

In the trunk of the car were 4 trays of chicken enchiladas, our contribution to a church-basement dinner for fifty people. The occasion? My nephew Djibo's accomplishment of Boyscout of America's highest rank: Eagle Scout.

Djibo was born in Niger, Africa to my brother Jim (who was serving in the Peace Corps at the time)and my sister-in-law Zalika, about whom I have posted a few times. When he was two years old, they came to the US where they eventually settled in Watertown, NY. My kids love hanging out with their cousin, who in times past was famous for his foot-tall afro and goofy sense of humor.

As the scouts recited the Scout Oath and Scout Law, I thought about how my nephew really exemplifies all these qualities. One of the statements his scoutmaster made about Djibo was that he had NEVER heard a negative word about anyone from his mouth.

Are we ever proud of this young man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home