Wednesday, August 06, 2008

BINGO and other non-riveting words

I opened my eyes and first thing this morning and BINGO, I was singing a childhood song about a farmer and his dog.

No, silly. Wrong kind of BINGO.

It was more of a realization kind of BINGO. It went this way:

"Your husband and two kids are far away --in another weather zone (tropical) in fact--and you don't HAVE to do anything today. Except maybe eat cookies for breakfast, meet a friend for lunch, and go to some other friend's house for dinner."

Dear readers, to the logical mind, this may sound like a wonderful predicament for a (usually) busy mom.
But the sad truth is, I miss my favorite family so very much that the luster has worn off the lily. I don't mean to mix metaphors, but being without my usual responsibilities is not the shiny new penny it was three days ago. It's old hat --or old bonnet --or a bonnet without the bee--or a bee who isn't happy that he's not busy anymore. Or a combination of all of these.

To pass these lazy, hazy days, I have a list of household projects to accomplish, books to peruse for school,vegetables to pickle, social engagements to schedule, and new rivers I wish to kayak. (Just foolin' about the river-thing. I will most likely stick to the same old three or four slow-moving bodies of water to which I am accustomed.)

I am also not alone. Friend #7 lives here, and she walks with me every morning and beats me in Scrabble every evening. It is an established pattern that keeps me grounded.

I have also snapped some documentary-type photos, but with my tech-crew in the mountains of the Dominican Republic and my usual method of downloading not responding, they may have to wait.

Until then, entries of non-riveting words may have to suffice.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I just love reading your blog. Wishing I could have been with you for the day while you tackled your to do list. I am so excited to see you in a few weeks!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

Well, busy and bee-ish, bonnet or hat-ish, even a dull penny is worth picking up (at least it used to be), so can those picked veggies even if they didn't shine. Are veggies shiny when new?
Looking forward to being home. Maybe I can get on that social schedule of yours. Or we can paint a room. Or plan a movie series to be called school.
Keep on kayaking!

8:14 AM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

New rivers - I've seen a few along the trip to Texas. We are in TN and will arrive in TX sometime tonight. Miss ya. How is my paddle?

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home