Tuesday, July 22, 2008

sound the alarm

There are sundry kinds of alarm clocks.

People are jarred awake by bells, whistles, coo-coos, beepers, rock music, chimes, or the smell of coffee. Personally, I don't relish falling asleep with the knowledge that something mechanical will eventually go off like a shotgun, leaving me to start my day in momentary panic. How much better to perk up gradually to the muffled sounds of my dear husband easing himself out of bed, rummaging in the closet, and pulling on his socks. In that way, sleep is shaken off like a cozy blanket--a few inches at a time.

This morning I was doing just that--creaking open a sleepy eye every now and then toward my digital clock to gauge how much pillow-time I had until my morning walk and then drifting back into a semi-alert snooze...when I was jolted fully awake by the sensation---

the very real sensation--

that something was crawling in my hair.


At times like this, the mental images flash by at lightning speed.
WASP.
LARGE MOTH
HAIRY BROWN SPIDER.
SMALL RODENT.

SMALL RODENT.

SMALL. RODENT.
IN. MY. HAIR.

I will spare you the details of my reaction to this phenomena. Let me just say that maniacal shrieking and leaping higher than my natural ability were included in my antics. Oh-- and multiple loud and shaky declarations of MOUSE. IN. HAIR.

The circus was over when said small rodent sped across the bedroom floor and scrambled into the dark recesses of Hubby's closet.

For heaven's sake.
I just don't know if I can actually sleep in my bed anymore.

I can't think of any way to end this post.
Have a nice day, everyone.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes.

Evidence of a small rodent on my stove is bad enough -- in my hair is unimaginable (well, not for you any more, but for me) -- just. yikes.

11:08 AM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

My cat, Shadow, once alerted me that I had a mouse in my waterbed. The mouse didn't make it to my hair since Shadow flushed him out before the mouse reached me. I'm so thankful. Sorry that you had to experience this.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, Nancy. I am so very sorry. I may have snakes, but at least they stay outside. I can't imagine. I say, just try not to think about it and fall asleep peacefully tonight. Seriouly, what are the chances that will ever happen to you again? Read Proverbs 3: 24-26 "when you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the Lord will be your confidence..."

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the nastiest story I've ever heard.

That beats snakes in Mom's kitchen.

Ewwww.

Yucky, yucky, yucky.

*shudder*

8:57 PM  
Blogger Dyllan's Dependents said...

You are the best writer. I am so sorry that your day started with such a trauma. It makes it seem like your bed is perhaps not as safe as one would think. But think of it this way, the poor little guy were probably just as scared as you.
On a different note, congrats on the clock! Perhaps that will help you sleep better.
Loz

10:42 PM  
Blogger Dyllan's Dependents said...

PS- I should do spell check on my comments since I can't seem to even spell my own name correctly at night.
Liz (otherwise known as loz)

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Nan...only you! This way you will always have a story to beat any others! What a blessing. Right? Better even than sleeping in another one of Nan's bed's and waking to a a puddle fed by water falling from the ceiling! There may be a book in the making: Nan's Bed Tales

9:48 PM  
Blogger ByHIsGrace said...

oh my - that surely raises visions, doesn't it- shrieking - yes. I would have thought of a spider and I would have jumped so high with you that we would have thought we had created our own trampoline and that we were really good at it.

Said mouse - did it have it's life snuffed out or did it live to carry on another day somewhere else -

Oh, the thought and vision is too funny although I am sure it was NOT funny at the time.

I love your stories and they certainly vary in detail.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home