Thursday, July 10, 2008

morning surprises

Every morning, a surprise awaits me.

After a few stretches and blinks, the first thing I do is scout the sky. The locals around here will tell you with surety: no matter what season it is, you never know what you will get in the weather department. The morning sky is always my first clue.

Will it be grey? White? Blue, dusted with clouds or blazing with the hue of robin's-egg? Will the wind be whipping the crab-apple boughs in the side yard? Or will the air be still enough to hear the easy conversations of the mechanic across the road as he tinkers in the open garage?

Every morning, another surprise awaits me.

One might think that after all these years, I would cease to be stirred by its presence, but no. It delights and surprises me always.
As near as the life-blood that courses through my veins, His faithfulness and mercies are new every morning. Every morning. A clean slate. A fresh start. A new day that begs to be lived, chock full of possibility and brimming with promise.

Jesus said there is trouble enough for the day, and ain't that the truth! May I not borrow any from yesterday or use my worry credit-card to obtain tomorrow's. Rather, my prayer is to gather up the generous provision that meets me bedside--and carry it with me, one hand in the bucket, ready to withdraw.

--no matter what color sky is my portion.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful thoughts, Nancy. "...my worry credit-card." Interesting concept. I read a devotional recently that explains that God does not give grace for our wild imaginations and "what ifs." Only for the reality of the present.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home