Wednesday, September 17, 2008

snippets

-there are three pizzas coming out of the oven. Fresh tomatoes, garlic, broccoli, mozzarella, and basil are a heavenly combination.

-Yesterday I discovered an old stone mill. It seems that everyone else around here (namely Friend #7) already knew about its existence. It is a lovely mill set on a bank above gurgling water that was too swift for kayaking. I know because I tried.
Here is what I like about old stone mills:
1. they are old
2. and made of stone
3. they are near running water
4. the are usually abandoned, which means one can peek in the windows.

Here is what I don't like about old stone mills:
1. cracks in the walls/foundations
2. I can't own them all
3. they are surrounded by unmown grass
4. in which are snakes

We'll leave it at that.

-I learned all about kabocha squash ("Japanese pumpkin") this week. I planted them on a lark--and because the picture on the seed packet showed dark green squash with bright orange flesh. That appealed to me, although I had no idea how they would taste.
I have harvested at least twenty of these beauties and finally decided to see what one tasted like. After cooking one yesterday, I eagerly tested the results. The upswing? Pretty sweet, but laden with a starchy, grainy, texture! Not good! I was sad to think of the whole cart-full of these gorgeous vegetables being only good for decoration.
Thanks to Wikipedia, I now know that they need to "cure" for a few months in order for that starch to convert to sugar. I'll try again before Thanksgiving and write a full report.
I do love a good squash.

-speaking of gardening experiments, my brother just informed me that he harvested at least 250 of these. I had offered earlier this summer to pickle them for him. This excited him to no end. It excited me, too, knowing that now I don't have to worry about what to give him for Christmas. I have never canned these kind of peppers. I hope they don't burn through the mason jars.

-Last Sunday was the second class in a series I am leading called "The Valley of Vision: Praying Purposefully & Artfully". We are using a collection of Puritan prayers as a springboard for crafting our own personal prayers. I have been challenged to incorporate more of God's Word in my own personal prayer time. That's good, right?
Of course, right!

-Some things have been hard lately. Other things--things which are very transient and of small consequence--have been sources of great joy. God says that's okay. Joy--not happiness, mind you-- is slippery stuff and cannot be had for love nor money most days. So when you can get it, buy it up.
Here is a poem that soothes my ruffled soul every time I read it. Go on, take it.
My gift to you.

Barter

    LIFE has loveliness to sell,
    All beautiful and splendid things,
    Blue waves whitened on a cliff,
    Soaring fire that sways and sings,
    And children's faces looking up
    Holding wonder like a cup.

    Life has loveliness to sell,
    Music like a curve of gold,
    Scent of pine trees in the rain,
    Eyes that love you, arms that hold,
    And for your spirit's still delight,
    Holy thoughts that star the night.

    Spend all you have for loveliness,
    Buy it and never count the cost;
    For one white singing hour of peace
    Count many a year of strife well lost,
    And for a breath of ecstasy
    Give all you have been, or could be.

    -Sara Teasdale

1 Comments:

Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

Thanks. I liked that.

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home