Friday, September 12, 2008

a disorganized list

A thick and serious stack of books meets me at every turn. Or so it seems. Maybe this is the reason I have not been able to post. Or it could be other things. Let me throw it out there for you.

-We are reading "The Scarlet Letter" aloud. It has launched some interesting discussions in my classroom of two! I has also given us an overflow of new vocabulary words. Mr. Hawthorne knew his dictionary, for sure.

-Last year I read "The Case for Creation" as part of a Sunday morning class. It held my attention so well that I chose it for our opening science curriculum. (We will finish Biology after that. Honest, we will.) We have been reading about the recent "Big Bang Experiment" online. So far, the earth has not been swallowed up by an underground black hole. These thoughts make my head spin!

-We started reading "The Last of the Mohicans" yesterday. In order to read with understanding, we have to brush up on the French & Indian War. In doing so, my little class will cover some American History and New York State History. I have high hopes of making it to the Schenectady Stockade and the Albany Institute of Art and History next month. Hopefully, what we have learned by then will make everything so much more interesting!

-#1 Daughter has found her daily joy with paintbrush, pencils, charcoal, and paper. We have her enrolled in an art class. What fun!

-#1 Son has come home from touring with the Julia Marie Band. They have had many adventures in the past month, a few breakdowns, and more than anyone's share of fun with cool friends. Oh yeah. I guess there were a few concerts in there, too.
Now he is all work and no play. Even so, he is not a dull boy.

-I now officially wear glasses. This means I spend a major portion of the day wandering around the house looking for them. It is my new mode of exercise.

-Monday night choir rehearsals have begun. I get to play Bach. I also got a manila envelope full of music in the mail for a real. live. concert. I am playing here next month. And guess what? BACH again. (Never mind what the program says. It's not Mozart, its BACH.)

-There will be eight at the dinner table tonight. Or maybe twelve. You never know.

Other than the above disorganized list, there is really not much going on around here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

How fun! I just assigned Last of the Mohicans to my schoolers this morning! Let me know about your field trips. Maybe we can make some joint ventures! We just read the Iroquois Constitution penned in 1570. And Merrick is learning about NY state Indian tribal history. So... let me know.

6:08 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

hey! we couldn't have planned it better.

You & yours will surely hear about our plans.

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Dearth"? Don't you mean the opposite?

11:43 AM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

rather, YES!

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home