Saturday, September 06, 2008

Love's Old Sweet Song

Yesterday, I dined with Friend #32 at Mom's Schoolhouse.

Two things occurred to me as I typed that last line.
1. Mom's Schoolhouse is a diner, not a educational institution.
2. Friend #32 gets mentioned time and time again on this here blog. She really hangs around, even though she now lives in Texas...

Anyway. One can get a nice, juicy cheddar burger there. And if you are in the mood for any type of soda-fountain item, the list is pretty complete. Also: "Mom" really does cook your dinner. She also wipes her hands on her apron and comes to the tables to say hello.

We sat near the upright piano where books with old-fashioned songs beckoned me. After I nailed that last burger-bite, politely wiped my greasy fingers and took a final swig of coffee, I snuck away from the table and positioned myself on the creaky bench.

"Just two tunes, folks. Two. That's it." I declared to no one in particular. I was pretending that the clientele had been begging for entertainment. Nothing was further from the truth, as everyone seemed well-occupied. Friend #32 was chatting up a walk-in friend of ours who sat at our table until her take-out was ready. (It's that kind of place.) And everyone else had their faces in their plates.

I played Chattanooga Choo-Choo first, to warm up the crowd. They needed to know that I could swing. Then, silently dedicating it to my dear Great Uncle Paul (God rest his soul), I shlurped my way through "Love's Old Sweet Song". Laura Ingalls Wilder's daddy, Pa, used to sing it to her, so you know it goes back a ways. This tune puts a lump in my throat every time.

The octogenarian eating the mac-n-cheese behind us was really moved, too. I could tell by the sparkle in her eyes. She wiped them with a paper napkin.

Here are the lyrics for this very old and very sweet song:

Love's Old Sweet Song

Lyrics by Clifton Bingham

Once in the dear dead days beyond recall
When on the world the mists began to fall,
Out of the dreams that rose in happy throng,
Low to our hearts love sang an old sweet song,
And in the dusk where fell the firelight gleam,
Softly it wove itself into our dream.

Just a song at twilight
When lights are low
And the flick'ring shadows
Softly come and go.

Tho' the heart be weary
Sad the day and long
Still to us at twilight
Comes love's old song.
Comes love's old sweet song.

Even today we hear love's song of yore
Deep in our hearts it dwells forevermore
Footsteps may falter, weary grow the way,
Still we can hear it at the close of day,
So till the end when life's dim shadows fall
Love will be found the sweetest song of all.

Just a song at twilight
When lights are low
And the flick'ring shadows
Softly come and go.

Tho' the heart be weary
Sad the day and long
Still to us at twilight
Comes love's old song.
Comes love's old sweet song.

2 Comments:

Blogger TrashTidBits said...

I like hanging around even though I live in Texas now. Thanks for the entertaining evening. You forgot to mention the music that we made with our kayaking straps before we found our way to Mom's Schoolhouse.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've got to compile these musings. they are a great read.

margaret

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home