Thursday, October 02, 2008

there goes October....

I received a frantic email today from the head of the voice department at Crane.

The situation in the accompanist department is dire: the main pianist had a little run-in with a (gulp) chainsaw last week (I don't know the details but he is reportedly "ok" and "recovering"....) and the next-busiest pianist had an unexpected death in the family. It involves a trip to France for an "indefinite" amount of time. In the meantime, students are in the thick of the semester, which means rehearsals, recitals, and classroom performances. (Also, a weekend vocal competition that is down-state.)

The request for my time encompasses a few weeks-- with generous pay, of course.

As "luck" would have it, the only week of the year that I am involved in a bonafide classical music performance is next week. I have been looking forward to my little musical fun all summer. I get to play Bach. (And for those who are in the know, that's a huge treat for me!) Now this huge treat is a bump in the road of all the new music I have to assimilate in a short amount of time.

After consulting with my business manager (Hubby), I have grudgingly offered to jump in and save the musical day. I have grown lazy in the practicing-department, folks. And I wear glasses now. I'm a little slower as a result, I think. I also am full of lame excuses because my fingers and brain are positively out of shape. Says who? Says me.

It's nice to be needed, though. I also know how much I will be appreciated.
I only hope and pray I can keep my act together on the homefront.

p.s. now accepting casseroles.

2 Comments:

Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

ah...crazy, lots of work...but lots of fun moments, too. Don't forget the rest of us in the rush!

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we're off to washington this morning. sorry we didn't get together this past week and it sounds like you will be busy next week. i'm up for a casserole when i get back. talk to you next week.
margaret

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home