Tuesday, September 23, 2008

all wet

I fell in the river the other afternoon.

Actually, the sun was going down--so I suppose you might say it was early evening. The time-slot (not to mention the month of the year) makes a difference when one is quite wet.

I was kayaking with Friend #32 when, towards the end of a very generous two hours on the water, I made up my mind to go ashore in order to gather some very pretty branches to bring home. They had dark green, shiny leaves and hordes of fantastically red berries, and I knew they would look very rustic and autumnal in a certain basket I own. As my aforementioned friend waited patiently, if not somewhat quizzically ("berries? to eat? oh. to decorate. I see...huh.)--I pulled strategically up to a muddy bank and wrangled my little vessel into a position that I thought would help me climb out with dry sneakers. Oh, if only.

It was the classic Wile E. Coyote move. You know, the one where one furry foot is planted on the ground and the other on a 1) ladder 2) tree branch 3) rumbling torpedo which takes off before it is supposed to. In my case, it was choice #3. Just when I felt like I was getting somewhere in the "exiting the kayak department", my little boat took off like a shot and left me attempting an Olympic cheerleader-split.

There are reasons I was never a cheerleader.

Ingenuously, I quickly grabbed my paddle and planted it securely at the edge of the water. Saved! Oh, I felt sly. It held for about 2 seconds before I plummeted face first into the mud.

No, I was not hurt.
Yes, I got the berried treasure.

And yes, Friend #32 laughed very, very heartily. Maybe too heartily. It's hard to say. From her angle, it was pretty funny.

She will now comment on this post. Thank you very much.

5 Comments:

Blogger TrashTidBits said...

I'm still laughing!! I wish I had my camera because it was definitely a candid moment. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. Let's go again soon.
Friend #32.

6:36 AM  
Blogger 르네 said...

so you decided to post about it after all =)

9:24 AM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

I'll bet the berries look great though... ;)

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, to me that could either be a "your mom joke" or a "your face joke" this is rather funny though... see nobody can stay away from comedy and the gift of stupidity, or the gift of laughter. wish that I could have seen it. by the way, I need your thoughts on Igor Stravinski. So if you get a chance...

-Pete

2:49 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Next time, you might not want to get your kayaking equipment from Acme... (grin)

-- Jeff

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home