Sunday, April 30, 2006

Sabbath-Thoughts

What am I doing INSIDE on a day like today?

Well, resting, for one. I decided last evening that I would arise early for my morning walk. After all, it was going to be the first of May and the forecast was promising. Forty minutes of solitude, bird calls, frosty dew on the meadows, and quiet road is a lovely way to start a Sunday.

After church, Hubby and kid-lings went running. Rather, Hubby went running; the kids accompanied him on bikes. This was a 20-mile trek in preparation for the marathon on his birthday. I hit the lake with my kayak; by far the less-athletic choice. The wind was whipping a bit, challenging me to work out my winter kinks. As a soul that disdains sweating, I surely needed a cool-down. Not a soul was at the boat-launch, so I stretched out lazily in the sun like a cat for an hour. (We can learn a thing or two about napping from cats.)

Rewind to this morning's service. Seeing the college seniors line the front of the sanctuary, hearing their sometimes tearful good-byes, and joining in prayer over them makes me wistful for my college-days. This was my church then, and I have come many a mile. I know how time sometimes stretches unbearably, then snaps and flies like a rubber band. I know how the Lord can amazingly order our steps, even triumphing over our missteps and bad attitudes. I know that He manages to keep us in the palm of His hand. I know, I know. And I still say Amen to our pastor's message: choose the Lord while you are young.

You go, Seniors.
Make our Dad proud.

6 Comments:

Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

I thought the morning service was especially encouraging -- edifying, even. How wonderful to see the fruit of our investment, minimal at times, in these young peoples' lives. It was a wistful happening, knowing how many years are ahead of them all, knowing that in most cases we will never know all that those years hold. Our humanity is a bit undoing at times. Eternity looks dear right about then -- surely we were made for such a heavenly realm!

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read your post.
Now am i worthy of seeing you?
can you come over tomorrow, gosh that would be nice.

9:02 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

yeah.

How 'bout I stop by at 3:45, and wait for your mom to arrive w/ the girls at 4:15?

that's the bestest I can do.
p.s. "bestest" is not a word.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

I wish I could have been there. I've watched many of them for years now and, well, you know...

10:09 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

I love Rosemary Clooney -- velvet tones, for sure!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Lore Ferguson said...

I wish I could call home every day.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home