Saturday, September 23, 2006

cookie day

My mom and I share recipes. A lot. We slice up magazines, thumb through church cookbooks, and swear by word-of-mouth. Recently, she said, "You've got to make Aunt Fran's oatmeal cookies. They are the best." So I did, and she was right. The secret? Soaking the raisins in the beaten egg. Don't skip that part!

Aunt Fran's Oatmeal Cookies
("The Best")

3 eggs, well beaten
1 cup raisins
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsps baking soda
2 cups oatmeal (substitute 1/2 cup wheat germ, if you like)
3/4 cup pecans

Combine eggs, raisins, and vanilla. Let stand for one hour, covered with plastic wrap. Cream together butter and sugars. Add flour, salt, cinnamon, and soda to sugar mixture. Mix well. Blend in egg-raisin mixture, oatmeal, and chopped nuts. Dough will be stiff. Drops by heaping tsps. onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 6 dozen.


As always, I reduced the sugars and halved the salt. I skipped the nuts, too (because I didn't know my audience) but the cookies were still delicious.

Today is a rainy Saturday, the first day of Autumn, and a great time to make cookies. Let me know how they turn out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. ;)

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you again for my wonderful print. I so enjoy it...what a reflection of my surroundings!!

I must try this recipe. I am always looking out for new ones that someone claims to be, "the best!"
Jude :-)

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home