Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Dmitry & I

This year is the hundreth anniversary of the birth of Dmitry Shostakovich. To commemorate this, many concert halls will be presenting his music, giving audiences a fresh opportunity to wrap their heads around it. As a lover of Shostakovich, I'll tell you: sometimes his work is a little prickly!
The best way to appreciate his music is to play it. For me, the learning always comes in the playing, especially for music that "stretches the ear". Of course, the second best way (and the way I have to appreciate his symphonies) is to listen to it. Listen, listen, and listen again. The music of Shostakovich is soaring, gut-wrenching, languid, and sorrowful. I don't think I have ever heard anything quite as mournful and poignant as a Shostakovich adagio. On the other hand, his fast movements are showcases of pointed humor and wit. And no one pulls off majestic triumph like Shostakovich, especially in his symphonies. Brass players love him for that. His musical lines grab the listener and drag him to places he might not choose to go. I know this does not sound appealing, but it is true. It is like Shostakovich is saying, "I know you don't want to see this, but you must."
Ask any classical musician about their discovery of Shostakovich. Odds are, their eyes will light up with unusual enthusiasm. Do you remember the scene in Mr. Holland's Opus in which Richard Dreyfuss tries to explain his first reaction to John Coltrane's music? Revulsion became compulsion, and compulsion became infatuation. Yes, Shostakovich has taken me to unkind, unappealing places. He has reminded me of war, artistic struggle, loss, and persecution. Much to his credit, he wrote what he saw. And that made the Russian government very, very upset.
So for all you rebels out there, you folks that peruse the banned books list, the very ones that despise censorship...do yourself a favor and give Dmitry a listen. If you can allow your ears to be stretched and you can invest some time, you may find a kindred spirit.
Some things are just worth the work.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My discovery of Shostakovich: I cried. Schindler's List was nothing compared to what I heard. Amazing.

You'll have to keep me abreast of any local "birthday" celebrations. Maybe not this semester, but next, I'll be able to sneak away from Jameson for an hour of music.

Feel better!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home