Monday, July 30, 2007

housewife at work

Depending on the circumstances, I wear different hats.
In the past week, I have been a berry-picker, paint-roller, (interior. latex.) appliance-scrubber, kayaker, short-order cook, errand-runner, and phone-counselor. Today, I am home-maker. I get to stay home and make stuff. I get to wear an apron. I am allowed to open and shut cupboards, mix things in bowls, and ignore the phone if I have flour on my hands.
After a preliminary opening and shutting of the cupboards, I made a grocery list. Old Mother Hubbard and I both know from experience that in order to make stuff, you need ingredients. So I went grocery shopping.
Then I came home and put everything away except certain things that I knew I was going to need immediately. I shaped hamburger patties. I shucked corn. I made mac-n-cheese from scratch. I made three loaves of bread.
When I was satisfied in the kitchen department, I chucked the apron and dragged out the vacuum. With laundry thumping in the washer, I scoured the stairs. I rousted out whole colonies of spiders. While shouting along to worship music, I shook the devil out of the throw-rugs. While catapulting dirt, dust, and all things evil from the house, I mentally reviewed yesterday's sermon. My insides were strengthened by the cleansing power of God's Word.
That's been my day. Nice, huh?

2 Comments:

Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

And a great sermon it was. I never tire of hearing Bible stories ala Andrew Eastmond.

Your day sounds delightful to me! Soon I will get to do that, too. (I hope...)

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just paused from baking cookies in the kitchen (and, yes, I was barefoot and, yes, I am pregnant). First batch made by me since this past winter. Ahhhh... :)

And hamburgers are on the menu for dinner tonight here, too.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home