Tuesday, December 30, 2008

a cookie for your thoughts

In dredging deeply for philosophical end-of-the-year thoughts, I have come up dry.
But in the area of inconsequential and material things, I have a wealth of blurbs to share.

-after prowling online for hours, I finally found "the coat". (Thank you, Banana Republic.) Although I intended to use a $75 gift check as a contribution towards "the coat"(thanks, mom), I was able to buy a wool peacoat for $73.12, including tax and shipping. A moment ago, I pressed "order now" with a triumphant gleam in my eye. Here's hoping it fits!

-a bustling Christmas season, followed immediately by a wedding comparable to a major Broadway production, has left me with about as much energy as it takes to lift leftover cookies to my mouth. Consequently, the caloric intake overrides the caloric output, no matter how many times I exercise my arm.

-It has come to my attention that I am pretty much done home-schooling #1 Son. I have looked at this situation in numerous ways, and it keeps adding up to the same thing: I. am. done. home-schooling. #1. Son. He is registering for a few classes at a local college, continuing his violin lessons with a professor at Crane, working with his dad in his "spare time", and rehearsing a lead role in the CFA musical. There won't be much time left in his day for me to tell him what to do.

-I need a museum-fix. Anyone going to NYC or DC soon? Can I hitch a ride?

-I am reading a few very worthwhile books. Moby Dick, the great American novel, is living up to the hype. I told #1 Daughter, "It's a lot of work, but worth the effort." She insists she will give it a try, based on my constant glowing reviews. I am also reading Tim Keller's "The Prodigal God", which is based on the parable of the prodigal son. Did you know that "prodigal" means "recklessly extravagant" and "having spent everything"? I knew that, but I am knowing it afresh concerning the kind of love God has for us.

3 Comments:

Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

I would gladly plan a trip to a museum-- as long as we don't need to talk much. My sabbatical will tentatively start on the 3rd. I'm wondering if it can possibly really happen.

And my mom hated Moby Dick so I have never even given it a glance, but if you say it's worth a try, I will do so!

And let's plan John Adams... can't forget that!

11:58 AM  
Blogger abbi said...

We're planning a trip to the Art Institute tomorrow,if you would care to join us. You could even join us in the evening for an intimate (just 11 family members) costume party. :-)

4:45 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

let me see....museum, costume party, some of the dearest people in the world, most likely some type of rich dessert...

are you trying to lure me to Kenosha?

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home