Wednesday, July 01, 2009

a new friend

She opened her home to us with only 6 hours notice.
I brought our own sleeping bags so not to use her linens.
She left a note saying"eat anything you find/want".
I made a mental note that this is my kind of person.

She gave me an old wooden chair for my front porch that she found roadside.
I gave her one packet of parsley seeds and one sack of peaches.
She talked to me about her amazing family, God, her job, and her love for art.
I talked to her about my kids, our new/old stone home, and how much we love her brother.

She showed us her paintings, her drawings, her photography, and her hand-crafted jewelry.
I read aloud to her two poems by Dylan Thomas.

Together, we diced onions, garlic, peppers, and tomatoes.
I watched in wonder as she stirred together tomato sauce and a large amount of peanut butter.
We ate a memorable meal together.

I think I found a new friend
and her name is Amber.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Friend #37 said...

She must be a pretty special friend - she's actually got a name!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

She is a great girl -- a unique young woman. But that family is full of unique and talented folk, isn't it? You have to love God's plan and His creativity! How thankful I am for such wonderful people!

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home