Saturday, August 15, 2009

two incidents

This news story caught my eye.

Not because the the police who were called to the scene didn't recognize Bob Dylan, famous icon of the sixties --but because of the lack of ensuing fracas. The nerve of those police not recognizing a white over-the-hill folk-rock musician who was walking in the pouring rain in the dark while looking into windows of an abandoned house!

Think back a few weeks ago to this headline news which sparked its share of dinner-table conversation at my house.

Without going off on a good-natured tirade (if there is such a thing), allow me to have a bit of fun. I present to you, dear readers, a completely imaginary dialogue that allegedly took place between Mr. "Times They Are A-Changin'" and an officer of the Long Branch police department:

Policeman: Excuse me, sir. We are responding to a report of a suspicious person peeping in windows. Would you kindly explain your presence here?

Mr. T.T.A.A.C.: Certainly, officer. You see, I am the famed Bob Dylan. I am in town on tour and merely was taking a leisurely stroll. This abandoned house is for sale and I was looking in the windows out of curiosity.

Policeman: Bob Dylan, hey? Heard of 'em. (carefully eyeing the rain-soaked, bedraggled, and hooded character) Could I see some I.D.?

Mr. T.T.A.A.C.: (fumbling around in empty pockets) I...er....seem to have left my wallet in the tour bus."

Policeman: "Well, let's just mosey on over there and check you out."

So they did. And he showed them some I.D. And then got out his guitar, tuned up, and presented them with his rendition of "Blowin' in the Wind". And then they laughed it all off and went out for a beer together to show there were no hard feelings.

The End.

May I point out a few missing elements that makes the Bob Dylan incident stand out from the Harvard professor incident?

-no yelling.
-no accusations of race profiling or even outdated-hippy-rockstar profiling.
-no handcuffs.
-no demands of apologies from either side.
-no presidential involvement
-no post-incident White House meeting.

Hardly worth reporting, you see. According to my imagined script, there was beer in common. But I only threw that in as a control factor, which demonstrates that beer alone cannot solve anything. Aren't I funny?

I will now climb down from my little soapbox and get back to my regular programming.

2 Comments:

Blogger RB said...

good post!

11:15 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

I think this programming was just great! Excellent reporting, Nance!

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home