Sunday, March 13, 2011

Orange Buttermilk Cupcakes

Two weeks back, #1 Daughter threw together some cupcakes that rocked our world. They were moist, dense, lemony, and not enough of them.

I don't think that's a grammatically proper sentence, but if you ate one of these cupcakes, you would talk silly too.

By the time we licked the last crumb from our fingers and scraped the inside of the paper muffin cup with our teeth, we were already clamoring for more.

"Um," said she off-handedly. "I forgot how I made them."

YOU MADE THAT RECIPE UP? FROM YOUR HEAD? AND YOU DIDN"T WRITE IT DOWN FOR HEAVENS SAKE?

-those were the kinds of things that were said to her.


Today I begged for a brain retrieval of sorts. "Can't you kind of remember?" She was lounging at the table in the loft & kindly but distractedly shouted down some instructions to me.

But we were out of lemon flavoring so I used orange. And instead of lemon rind, I used orange rind. And instead of 7 tablespoons of butter ("Seven?" I asked. "Yes, at the time, that's all the butter we had." "Oh.") I used 8. Also: instead of a few "glugs" of regular milk, I used buttermilk.

Other than that, it was the EXACT SAME RECIPE. Haha.

They came out beautifully, as evidenced by their fast disappearing act. Have a sweet Sunday afternoon, everyone!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh how I wish I had this recipe! I am making my own butter now so I have fresh buttermilk in the fridge all the time and rarely know what to do with it! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PS. Thanks...you're the best ;-)

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home