Wednesday, May 17, 2006

the spring rain, watering the earth


You care for the land and water it;
You enrich it abundantly.
The streams of God are filled with water
to provide the people with grain,
for so you have ordained it.

You drench its furrows
and level its ridges;
you soften it with showers
and bless its crops.

Psalm 65:9-10

I simply cannot quench my thirst for the outdoors lately. My insides seem to quiver for draughts of fresh spring air. Most days find me bounding out of bed, eagerly scanning the sky. (One of my favorite authors, Willa Cather, perceptively calls it nimble air. She knows.) Yesterday, an early morning walk and a noon-time paddle on the Raquette River only tickled my soul-quest for green. (I wonder: how many words for green are in the English language?)

A dab of feathery-lemon trembles on a branch outside my window: a yellow finch braving the rain and cheering my heart. The patter of rain taps pleasantly on our tin roof. The yard is littered with spent white blossoms; drenched harbingers of late-summer fruit. As I tackle a few neglected indoor projects, I anticipate an anniversary dinner for two:

Sergi's margherita pizza, anchovies on the side.
perhaps a tossed salad, too.

-because one can never have too much green.....

3 Comments:

Blogger 르네 said...

Happy 20th anniversary =) May the Lord bless you with many more.

8:50 PM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

How was your anniversary? Did Bill like all the gifts? My mom and I are in Port Huron, MI get ready to continue our journey. See my weblog.

8:40 AM  
Blogger kb said...

Indeed...I will be at your door on Friday...roll out that red carpet:)

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home