Thursday, September 28, 2006

the low-down on low-brow

Just to dispel any misconceptions of my musical taste: I am not a snob.
As in my taste for salads (see here), my leanings in music also "run the gamut". (All you entymologists: that is an inside joke.) This past week I have introduced my little darlings to the world of Peter, Paul and Mary. Also: the Fab Four.

Although during her first listen of the Beatles 27 #1 Hits, Daughter #1 announced emphatically that Yellow Submarine was (and I quote) "the cheesiest song ever", she sang it in the car all the way to Canton. I was bombarded with questions such as who played which instrument, who sang which part and whose voice was best, and what I thought of their outfits on a particular album cover. Oh dear.

While my fam was away, I played the hits of Peter, Paul and Mary over and over. Friend #12 went bonkers over Puff the Magic Dragon, which made me very happy. While continuing my "blast from the past" online, I happened upon the info of their 2006 Tour. FORTY YEARS LATER, AND THEY STILL TOUR? Well, they haven't toured continually; this year is an experiment of sorts. And they might not do it again. Ever. So I found the closest venue and promptly booked tickets as a family Christmas present. It's the only reason I've had in thirty years to visit Utica, NY.

Don't ask me why these random things drive me so. Music either hits you or it doesn't. So between Shostakovich, Paul McCartney, and Paul Yarrow, I'm getting hit from all directions.

They don't call it a hit for nothing, you know.

3 Comments:

Blogger TrashTidBits said...

I love Peter, Paul, & Mary. When is the concert?

7:52 AM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

Yeah -- when and where? You never know, we may have made it to the late 1900's in our whirlwind tour of the history of the arts in Western culture by then. So far, we haven't managed to get to 1500, but soon... Maybe we can pick up the pace a bit! :)

1:53 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

When:Nov 18
Where: some auditorium in Utica

there were only a few seats left when I ordered them...
but a bargain price! $12 student, $24 adult.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home