Wednesday, April 16, 2008

it makes me mad all over again

Two posts in one day?

It's like this: I had to get this off of my chest.

While cleaning up my photo-file, I came across some pictures taken the other day when I was in a bad mood. Rather, my mood was fair-to-middlin' when I stepped outside to document the arrival of warmer weather. It soured quickly when I took a stroll around our yard.

The first sight to greet me was piles of crushed gravel that the snowplow deposited on the lawn. Of course, it was mixed thoroughly with snow then.
Here it is in it's pure, unmixed state:


Next, I came upon last year's burn barrel. In the background is a rotting willow tree and an assortment of wind-tossed and soggy paper stuck in the hedgerow.

This is not a posed picture. Completely un-retouched.

Moving along, we find our blue boat draped in a green tarp.
(The latest in spring colors!)

A few squishy steps away, one can view the back of our barns, along with what seems to be a cartload of something that never reached its destination.

Did someone take an emergency phone call?
Remember they were boiling pasta?
Dash for the bathroom, or what?

It's like the Rapture came or something.



Doesn't the stable look so entirely sad? The stables have been empty since last fall.

I cringe at the fake brick siding that peeps out from behind the green gate. Otherwise, without the horses to wallow in the spring mud, it's not too bad.


This brings me to the scene that made me scream.


Hubby and #1 Daughter come to the back of our property to burn scrap wood. Obviously, this chair didn't make the cut --as it had more use left in it. I thought #1 Daughter was back here doing her chores, but I can only deduct she left her notebook and junky shoes out here so she could don proper footwear to go running instead.
(or maybe that Rapture thing again....)

I'd run, too.
Wouldn't you?


Coming full-circle around our property, I glean-- no, I grasp, clutch, and altogether cling to hope that our circa 1830 farmhouse really looks this idyllic to the passersby.

After all, the speed limit is 55 on our road, and who really has time to snoop around when driving?


Even coming closer, one would never guess the horrors that await nearby. One might also never guess what the insides of our barns and garage look like.

But I didn't have the heart to go there.

Perhaps in a few weeks, things around the yard won't look so creepy.

Please tell me that your yard looks just as bad or worse.
Please tell me that when it "greens up" a bit and creeping vines take over, these things won't bother me so.
Please tell me that you're coming over with your six kids, rakes, cranes, and dump-trucks to have a Clean-Up Day.
Please tell me that when I erase these images from my digital camera card, that they will disappear in real life.

I'm gonna go try it.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes mom, very sarcastic......but very entertaining. i like it.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know the feeling Nancy!! i worked outside all day today with many more worked days scheduled. It's called entropy. Unless one is constantly organizing, cleaning, sorting, burning, raking etc. our lives turn out like your pictures. That ole Adam really did us in...... until the new heaven and new earth. It's coming!!!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

Well, you're ahead of me in this: at least you've perused the situation and taken stock (sad as it may be.) Since I have not done so, I can only guarantee you by faith that indeed mine looks just as bad, if not worse. And that deduction is done in faith without seeing, but trust me, it doesn't require much faith! Some things we just know... My rake will come your way if yours will come back to mine next - deal? ;)

8:12 AM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

Glancing out your kitchen window the other day, I DID spot that large uprooted tree--which is an altogether different category than the junk in MY yard.

An "act of God" is what caused your mess, and an "act of god" is what will cure mine. : )

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since we live in the woods, our yard is ten times worse. We also have an extremely ugly hockey arena that needs to be taken down. We are in a huge mess. Much worse than yours, if that brings any consolation.
~ Michele L.

9:33 AM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

I still have snow in my yard and snowbanks the size of small hills. No yard work for me in the distance future.

Sounds like you need a kayaking trip to me.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have posted good pictures. From which you have taken this photographs. Even i have gathered some about willow tree

1:21 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

Laura:
guess what I was doing this afternoon???

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we're all so anxious for spring to come we forget all the things we didn't do in the fall. then the darkness of winter falls upon us and we hibernate till spring magically thinking everything will be in tip top shape.... so we can just take off into our wonderful summer.

if only fantasy was real.

the work is good for our waist line

happy spring!!!!!
margaret

3:06 PM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

I thought of you as I was sitting next to the river in Colton. I'm not surprised that you took advantaged of the nice weather. I was too tired to get my boat out and go.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home